November 25, 2011

DIY - Wet Canvas Carrier for my Mug Shots

No painting in this post, but something that should be really useful for our mug shot challenge: a litte canvas carrier for those tiny 4" by 4" boards - both for transporting the wet ones and as a storage for the dry boards.




I built it out of some kind of foamy board I came across at a craft supply store, it's very light, 1/4 inch thick and can easily be cut with a knife and glued or taped together. The little 'bars' that hold the boards apart are also cut from the same foamboard, wrapped with tape to make sure they would not leave any 'crumbles' on the paintings.
As you can see the box does have a lid, but I haven't decided on a way to secure it closed - I might just use some rubber band, that'll do nicely.

The finished box actually feels more sturdy and robust than I expected. I might even cover it with adhesive foil to make sure it doesn't melt if it gets wet, but then again it's small enough to just put in a plastic bag if needed.

The box will hold ten boards, so I might have to make a second one later on - I must say I'm quite proud of the little thing, though there's still room for improvements ... ;-)

7 comments:

  1. Genius idea! I don't know if I have the patience to make one but I love yours. And you probably will need another to accommodate the whole Hilton Head Gang.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job and great idea Lulu. You might try velcro to close the box. Just make a tab that hangs off the lid to the front and attach velcro to both surfaces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria - this first one did take quite some time, but I think the next might be rather quick. And absolutely needed for the HHG!

    Kit - I think velcro will do the job, that's what I have on my ready-made carrier. I'll definitely give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just AMAZED at you! What ever will you come up with next? OK, OK, I'm going to the craft store tomorrow (today is Black Friday, and I'm not going ANYWHERE!). Just perfect. Like you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've made a couple of bigger ones like this after seeing them online. I just haven't figured out how to attach a strap so they are easier to carry. I like this small one for the little paintings. I used balsa wood for the inside dividers, but that's pretty pricey I think. Yours looks really sturdy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I now have a new project!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

You might also like -

Pin It button on image hover