January 3, 2014

Basic

I guess everybody knows Lego? - I loved to play with them as a kid. Simple, but so much fun. And it all starts with this basic plastic brick. From here, you can go on to construct such objects as vehicles, buildings, and even working robots. Best part about it: you can take them apart again, and start all over...

"Basic"
Oil on panel, 5" by 5"
USD 65 (shipping included)
 

I also wanted to show you the set-up I used for this - very fancy! It's a simple cardbord box with a window cut into it and a single light source. Not perfect, but it definitely does the job.

And when working from life, it's almost mandtory for me to do a quick value sketch first - it might not look like much, but really helps getting to know the subject. In this case a straight forward subject, but realizing that the dark side of the Lego piece and the shadow have the same value (more or less) helped a lot later on...


Again, more Lego pieces are planned - I just wanted to start out with the basic brick.
This is painting Nr 3 in the "30 in 30" challenge - stay tuned for the paintings, I'll post them both here on my blog and on my Facebook Artist Page Regula Scheifele Fine Art.

2 comments:

  1. I love the painting and love the explanation. And I am very happy that your sketches look like mine! Just enough information to allow me to paint it with an idea of where everything goes! Can't wait to see tomorrow's painting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Maria! - I must say I do not always sketch first, but usually regret it when I don't... And you're correct, the sketch itself doesn't have to be a piece of art in itself, only a tool for the painting.

    ReplyDelete

You might also like -

Pin It button on image hover